If you are getting off a cruise ship in the Turks and Caicos, there are several things you can do to make the most of your time there:
- Explore the beaches: The Turks and Caicos are known for their beautiful beaches, so take some time to relax in the sun or take a dip in the crystal-clear waters.
- Go snorkeling or scuba diving: The waters around the Turks and Caicos are home to a variety of marine life, including colorful fish, turtles, and even sharks. Book a snorkeling or scuba diving excursion to see these creatures up close.
- Take a boat tour: There are plenty of boat tours available that will take you around the islands and show you some of the most beautiful sights, such as the Caicos Cays.
- Visit historical sites: The Turks and Caicos have a rich history, and there are several sites that you can visit to learn more about it. One popular site is the Grand Turk Lighthouse. The only lighthouse in the country, this beautiful structure is the main historical attraction on Grand Turk. Don’t miss out on the scenic coastal path that leads along the cliffs north of the lighthouse.
- Go shopping: If you're looking to do some shopping, there are plenty of options in the Turks and Caicos. Head to Grace Bay for luxury boutiques and souvenir shops.
No matter what you choose to do, be sure to take plenty of sunscreen, water, and snacks with you!
Currency and payment accepted on the island:
The official currency of the Turks and Caicos Islands is the US dollar (USD). The islands use US currency for all transactions, and it is widely accepted throughout the islands. While some businesses may accept other currencies, it's best to have US dollars on hand when traveling to the Turks and Caicos. Most major credit cards are also accepted in hotels, restaurants, and shops, but it's always a good idea to check with the establishment beforehand to avoid any issues. ATMs are available on the islands, and many banks offer currency exchange services.
Getting around the island:
There are several ways to get around the Turks and Caicos Islands:
- Taxis: Taxis are readily available on the islands, particularly around the airport and main tourist areas. The fares are regulated by the government, so you should be able to get a fair price.
- RentalCars: Renting a car is a popular option for exploring the islands, particularly on Providenciales, where the roads are well-maintained and easy to navigate. Several rental car companies operate on the islands, and most require a valid driver's license and credit card.
- ScootersandMotorbikes: Scooters and motorbikes are also available for rent on the islands. They can be a fun way to explore, but it's important to take safety precautions and wear a helmet.
- Bicycles: Bicycles are available for rent on some of the islands, particularly on Providenciales. They can be a great way to explore at a slower pace and get some exercise in the process.
- Walking: If you're staying in a central location, walking can be a great way to get around and take in the sights. Just be sure to wear comfortable shoes and stay hydrated, particularly during the hotter months.
It's important to note that driving is on the left-hand side of the road in the Turks and Caicos, as the islands are a British Overseas Territory. Be sure to drive cautiously and stay aware of local traffic laws and customs.
The official language of the Turks and Caicos Islands is English. As a British Overseas Territory, the islands have a strong British influence, and British English is the most commonly spoken variety. However, you may also hear some Creole or Spanish spoken, particularly among the local population.
Don't know where to go? Let our port personality quiz steer you in the right direction!
For all the latest tips and tricks of cruising be sure to check out the Cruises.com Blog!
Book smart and get your choice of a FREE bonus offer when you book with Cruises.com instead of booking directly with the cruise line. We give you our exclusive bonus offers, plus all qualifying cruise line offers, plus all of the cruise line loyalty program benefits.
Book online at Cruises.com or call 800-288-6006 today.